Thursday, June 14, 2012

Brownies and Broomsticks




Author: Bailey Cates
Main Character’s Name: Katie Lightfoot 
Main Character’s Job: Baker
Themes: Hedgewitch, Herbs, Dog, Cat, Paranormal, Occult, Spell Book Club, Recipes
Setting: Savanna, GA
Series: A Magical Bakery Mystery #1
First sentence: “This was a grand adventure, I told myself.”
Dates Read: May 29 to June 2, 2012
Rated: 4 Teacups




The second book I purchased during my Barnes and Noble shopping trip was “Brownies and Broomsticks” by Bailey Cates. I do like cozy’s with a paranormal bent and this one really delivered.

Here is a quick synopsis: After a huge breakup with her fiancé baker Katie Lightfoot moves to Savanna, GA to open Honeybee Bakery with her aunt and uncle. Before the bakery can open, however, there is a murder and her uncle is blamed. When the police are slow to act Katie decides that she has to find the murderer. In the end she discovers much more than a murderer.

The book was well written and the characters were warm and welcoming. Also, I like books that leave you with new ideas and new recipes, and this book did both. I made the Peanut Butter Swirl brownies recipe and they are quite tasty. I used a natural peanut butter. If you do that you might want to add a touch more powdered sugar to the peanut butter mix. Rodney found them to be a not very sweet. I liked them like that though.  I am looking forward to the next book in this series.

 ~*~

A note about the cover: I thought that the cover for this book set just the right tone. It seemed a bit magical, there were baked goods and it even had Honeybee, the bakery’s name sake cat.

A note about the first line: Yes, yes it was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment