Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Who Do, VooDoo?




Author: Rochelle Staab
Main Character’s Name: Elizabeth “Liz” Cooper
Main Character’s Job: Psychologist
Themes: Voodoo, Tarot, Cat, Paranormal, Occult, Hoodoo, Séance
Setting: Los Angeles, CA
Series: A Mind For Murder Mystery #1
First sentence: “Wait until the third date to fool around?”
Dates Read: May 26 to May 29, 2012
Rated: 4 Teacups



In my last post I mentioned that I bought a couple of new books. The two books I picked up were “Who Do, VooDoo?” by Rochelle Staab and “Brownies and Broomsticks” by Bailey Cates. After some internal debate I decided to read “Who Do, VooDoo?” first. Apparently I needed a cozy-fix because I read it in two days and I would have read it faster if I hadn’t needed to work. (That darn work! Always interfering with my reading time!)

I thought the book was well written and will paced. I did not agree with her definition of hoodoo. It insinuated that hoodoo was always evil, but if you read the Wikipedia definition they do not say that. Of course this could just be for effect, but it came out as too black and white to me. On the other hand, I felt that voodoo is treated quite fairly. If you like a cozy with paranormal overtones I would recommend this book. It is also a good solid cozy. 

 ~*~

A note about the cover: I think the cover art is a bit off. I don’t quite get why there is a black cat on the cover and no tarot cards. There are a couple of black kittens in the book in a couple of scenes, but they are not a major part of the story. However, a deck of tarot cards is a major part of the story. So... ummm... where are the cards? Here are what they sort of look like:

These cards are from the Langustl Tarot
See? They would look just fine on a cover. Mind you, the deck in the book is fictional, but I am sure a good artist could have whipped one up. 

A note about the first line: It really has nothing to do with the rest of the book. It does pull you into the first scene though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment